Workers response to changes brought about by the Industrial Revolution
Workers response to changes brought about by the Industrial Revolution.
Workers organized strikes.
- “Great Upheaval” railroad strike of 1877.
- “Haymarket Affair” of 1886 in support of the 8-hour work day.
- “Homestead Lockout” of 1892 for the right to keep the steel union alive.
- “Pullman Railroad Strike” of 1894 when worker’s wages were cut 28%.
Workers organized unions.
There were three different philosophies for organized labor.
- Knights of labor – idealistic.
- American Federation of labor (AFL) – practical.
- Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) – revolutionary.