The following questions are based on Hinkle Chapter: 24 Chronic Pulmonary Disease
55-60) Mr Kotter is a 40 year old male who smokes 1 pack of cigarettes daily, presents to the local urgent care for worsening cough and dyspnea. He states “I never get sick, I just have this cough every morning. But now I am having some trouble breathing.”
- What is COPD? Name 3 risk factors associated with COPD.
- COPD is an overlapping of what 2 Diseases? What is the criteria for diagnosis and what diagnostic tests would you expect to be performed?
- How would you explain pursed-lip breathing to your patient with COPD?
61) When auscultating the lungs of a 23 yo female with asthma, the nurse is aware that the most common adventitious breath sound associated with asthmatics is?
The following questions are based on HInkle Chapter: 23 Lower Respiratory Tract
62) A patient is suspected of having pneumonia. What signs and symptoms would the nurse expect to find in the older adult? Name 2 priority nursing interventions needed to obtain an accurate diagnosis?
63) Describe how you would explain the purpose of and instruct a client on how to use an incentive spirometer.
64-65) The nurse enters the room of Mrs. Brady, an 81 year old female with a history of a recent stroke who is receiving enteral (tube) feeds. She finds her flat on her back, dyspneic, tachycardic, and hypotensive. (BP 80/45 HR 110 R 28). An elederly patient with a stroke history is at risk for what lower respiratory tract disorder? Why? List 3 measures the nurse can implement to help prevent this disorder.