1. Which of these is an example of a total institution? a. Jail b. High school c. Political party d. A gym
2. Why do people join utilitarian organizations? a. Because they feel an affinity with others there b. Because they receive a tangible benefit from joining c. Because they have no choice d. Because they feel pressured to do so
3. Which of the following is not a characteristic of bureaucracies? a. Coercion to join b. Hierarchy of authority c. Explicit rules d. Division of labor
4. What are some of the intended positive aspects of bureaucracies? a. Increased productivity b. Increased efficiency c. Equal treatment for all d. All of the above
5. What is an advantage of the McDonaldization of society? a. There is more variety of goods. b. There is less theft. c. There is more worldwide availability of goods. d. There is more opportunity for businesses.