- The nature of competition and the sources of competitive advantage differ widely among industries.
- Global competitors often perform some activities outside their home country.
- At the core of explaining national advantage in an industry must be the role of home nation in stimulating competitive improvement and innovation.
- We must explain why firms from particular nations move early and aggressively to exploit change in particular industries.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Understanding National Advantage
- Four broad attributes of a nation that provide environment for creation of competitive advantage
Related and Supporting Industries
Firm Strategy, Structure, and Rivalry
- The four determinants as a system are called national “diamond”.
- The effect of one determinant is contingent on the state of other determinants.
- Two additional variables can influence the national system in important ways: chance and government.
- Chance event are such as pure inventions, breakthrough in basic technologies, war, major shift in foreign market demand.
- Government policy such as competition policy, regulation, education can influence determinants of national advantage.