- The nature of competition and the sources of competitive advantage differ widely among industries.
- Global competitors often perform some activities outside their home country.
- At the core of explaining national advantage in an industry must be the role of home nation in stimulating competitive improvement and innovation.
- We must explain why firms from particular nations move early and aggressively to exploit change in particular industries.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Understanding National Advantage
Just from $13/Page
- Four broad attributes of a nation that provide environment for creation of competitive advantage
Related and Supporting Industries
Firm Strategy, Structure, and Rivalry
- The four determinants as a system are called national “diamond”.
- The effect of one determinant is contingent on the state of other determinants.
- Two additional variables can influence the national system in important ways: chance and government.
- Chance event are such as pure inventions, breakthrough in basic technologies, war, major shift in foreign market demand.
- Government policy such as competition policy, regulation, education can influence determinants of national advantage.