The purpose of policy analysis is to provide advice to a decision-maker regarding a specific course of action on a public policy decision. For this assignment, conduct a critical analysis of an existing policy of your choice, either at the local, state, or federal level. Develop a short, written policy analysis (1,250 words) related to a public health issue of your choice. Refer to the resource “Guidelines for Preparing a Brief Policy Analysis” when preparing this assignment, and include the following in the policy analysis:
1. Problem Statement: A problem statement should be a clear and concise question that identifies the public health problem addressed in the analysis. The problem statement should be one or two sentences maximum.
2. Background of the Problem: This section should include factual information and evidence necessary to understand the public health problem, describe why the public health problem is important, and explain why the issue needs attention.
3. Landscape of the Problem: This section provides the overall context for the analysis by identifying key stakeholders and the factors that must be considered when analyzing the problem. Include both of the following: a) key stakeholders (should identify the specific key stakeholders relevant to the policy analysis), and b) key factors (should provide the overall context of the issue, including political, economic, practical/feasibility, and legal/ethical factors)
4. Available Options for Action: This section should provide an analysis of 3-5 options for a policy course of action, including the benefits and drawbacks of each course of action. Discuss the evidence and ethical implications of each option.
5. Recommendation: This section should describe one of the previously described options as the recommendation. Clearly identify which option is being recommended and why it was selected over the other options. Describe why it is the best option despite potential drawbacks, and address ways to reduce negative aspects of the recommendation. Describe the potential this policy recommendation could have for public health or health equity.
Incorporate five scholarly sources into your health policy analysis.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.