Assume that Orion Star Sports & Outdoors Co. has engaged you as a consultant to advise them on business strategies to increase sales. Study the data tables from this perspective. The most important tables in this data set are:
+ orders + product_line
+ products + profit
- Answer the following questions in general:
- What are the key business questions that can be asked and answered using this data?
- How does each table relate to answering those questions?
- How do I have to link the tables in order to be able to answer those questions?
- For each field in the four tables, answer the following specific questions:
- Is this a question field, an answer field, or a link field? In other words, is this a key dimension along which I wish to analyze the data (question field), a data item that I want to “slice and dice” along selected dimensions (answer field), or a field that simply helps me link from one table to another?
- What data type is represented by this field (e.g. integer, text, symbols, currency, etc.)?
- Are there missing or null values in the data for this field?
- For range fields (e.g. dates and numbers), what is the range of values in the data? What are the maximum and minimum values?
- What do you think is the purpose of this field?
- What questions would you ask the company about this field?
- Prepare spreadsheets that answer the following questions:
- What are the top 10 products for orders (by dollar volume)?
- What are the top 10 countries for orders (by dollar volume)?
- What are the top 10 selling products by units? By dollar volume?
- For top two US states and top two countries (excluding the US) in questions 1 and 2, what are the 5 top selling products by units? By dollar volume?
- Provide the customer ID’s, order dates, and order amounts for all customers who have ordered more than once.