The 2000 word essay should cover the points below:
- Introduction (150 words approximately): State an overview of the patient’s condition and identify TWO actual or potential nursing problems.
Actual problems: 1 – Pain (8/10 pain score)
Potential problems: 2 – Infection (Raised temperature 38.4oc, left toe wound which looks to be old, purulent, red and a little swollen)
- For each of your identified problems (Approximately 950 words for each problem): Briefly explain how it relates to the patient’s assessment data. You must demonstrate your understanding of the relevant pathophysiology to explain the link between the problem and the patient’s signs and symptoms. Identify TWO interventions to address each problem.
Interventions for pain management:
1 – Endone 5mg likely to be prescribed by the doctor as a collaborative intervention. You must consider and discuss the nursing responsibilities associated with the medication (action, dose, side effects, prevention and management of same, administration requirements and evaluation).
2 – Elevate arm to reduce swelling and pain
Interventions for potential infection:
1 – Monitor cast site for infection and clean leg toe
2 – Educate patient about keeping cast & wound dry
Justify the interventions you will implement (explain what is involved in implementing the intervention, why it is suitable, any relevant special considerations relevant to the patient or situation) and support/justify the use of these interventions with reference to current evidence-based literature (a minimum of 5 current articles for each intervention). Outline the expected evaluation criteria/data that would indicate that each intervention is improving or resolving the identified problem.
- Conclusion (150 words approximately): Briefly restate the overall clinical scenario and how your interventions can benefit the patient’s health.
- You need to discuss at least one independent nursing intervention in your essay. This intervention must be nurse initiated and driven.
- For any collaborative interventions you must discuss the nursing responsibilities and actions in relation to this collaborative intervention. Referral to another health discipline alone does not constitute an intervention
Medications cannot be both of your chosen collaborative interventions for a problem. If a medication is one of your collaborative interventions, you must identify an appropriate drug that is likely to be prescribed by the doctor. You must consider and discuss the nursing responsibilities associated with the medication (action, dose, side effects, prevention and management of same, administration requirements and evaluation).