Create a public information product of your choice that is based on data related to a diversity issue. Your product should be at least 1,500 written words, or 10-15-minutes in length if spoken.
Often, discrimination is discussed as a primarily individual phenomenon—one-on-one actions in which one person discriminates against another. But as you have learned through your studies and research, some discrimination occurs at the institutional level, despite laws and policies that have been created to reduce or eliminate structural racism.
In this assessment, you examine how different experiences for minority groups may reflect a dominant culture that practices systemic discrimination in treatment or access to valued resources. You will examine the extent to which institutional discrimination occurs within a specific institution, such as the criminal justice system or the health care system. A key part of this assessment is incorporating data to support your analysis, something that is also integral to the work that sociologists do. You will also reflect upon and discuss feasible strategies for addressing the institutional inequality uncovered during your research.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe theoretical ideas of power in relation to policy.
- Create a public information piece that conveys a central tenet regarding institutional inequality.
- Competency 3: Analyze the effects of social policy using aggregated data.
- Analyze data to make valid sociological inferences.
- Competency 4: Analyze how laws are applied or created based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, and social class.
- Describe factors contributing to racial and ethnic disparities within the criminal justice system.
- Assess the impact that institutional discrimination within the justice system has had on minorities and minority communities.
- Explain ways in which public policies are linked to racial and ethnic disparities within the criminal justice system.
- Describe policy strategies for reducing institutional discrimination.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format and with few errors of grammar, usage, and mechanics.