HTM 2464: Introduction to Service
Case 2: Service Failure and Value Co-Creation during COVID 19
COVID 19 has fundamentally altered the service industry, including both the delivery of services and our sense of service quality. This case study asks you to describe two service experiences that you’ve had during the COVID 19 pandemic. Follow the guidelines below to describe these experiences, your reaction, and relationship to the course content. You can use the same experiences as used in Case 1 if they are appropriate.
Experience 1: Service Failure
Identify a service failure experience you’ve had during the COVID 19 pandemic. Answer the following questions:
- Describe the experience, including (a) the specific nature of the experience, and (b) what went wrong.
- On a scale of 1 (not very bad) to 10 (worst experience possible), how bad was the service failure?
- What did you do? Did you complain to the service company?
- If no, why not?
- If yes, to whom did you complain? What happened after you complained? Did it make any difference?
- How would you classify your treatment using the categories of “outcome fairness”, “procedural fairness” and “interactional fairness”? (please note — I want you to answer this for all three types of fairness, not to judge which is most applicable)
5. What would you recommend to the company management (be sure to connect to the service recovery part of the lecture)?
Experience 2: Value Co-Creation
Identify a service experiences you’ve had during the pandemic, involving yourself as part of a group of people.
- Describe the experience, including (a) the specific nature of the experience and (b) who you were with.
- How involved were you in value co-creation of the experience? (i.e., deciding where you went — to which service company and the actual on-site experience)
- On a scale of 1 – 10, how satisfied were you with the experience? Explain what influenced your experience satisfaction. Were the other people in your group more or less satisfied?
- To what extent did your engagement in planning the experience influence your satisfaction (1 to 10, not at all to extremely)
- From the perspective of the co-creation of service experiences, please explain your answers to questions 3 and 4.