Prompt: After completing the Cultures and Artifacts Worksheet, identify two to three artifacts you are interested in studying for Project 1. In a paragraph or two, provide a rationale for choosing the artifacts as potential options for your project. After thinking about the two to three artifacts you were interested in, choose one artifact that you will plan to study further during this course and use as the focus for your two projects. The answers to the following questions can be used as a basis for parts of your Project 1 submission. Keep these questions in mind as you continue to learn about the artifact of human creative expression that you chose to analyze.
1. Identify your chosen artifact.
2. Describe the artifact in detail using any applicable senses mentioned in the overview.
3. What are the elements of the artifact that you believe are most important to how you experience it? Does the choice of medium impact your experience?
4. State your opinion on what you believe is the purpose of this artifact and the success of the creator in achieving the purpose.
5. Discuss how the artifact reflects the culture or context in which it exists. Be sure to address what aspects of culture have relevance for this artifact: politics, history, religion, social perceptions, technology, media, education, and so on. In other words, how do the artifact and its culture interrelate?