Religious Expression: Let Us Pray
Religious issues tend to elicit strong emotions for all involved in the school system. Educational leaders today need to have at least a basic knowledge of the legal guidelines regarding religious expression in public schools. Additionally, effective communication and appropriate practices are essential for resolving issues around religion and core cultural values.
After completing the required reading, respond to the following questions using examples, the text, and at least one outside source to support your thinking:
- What is the impact of the Fourteenth Amendment on religion and public education?
- Why might it be difficult for some school districts to find the proper balance between holiday activities being religious enough but not offending minority religious beliefs or those who believe schools should remain neutral?
- The role of religion in public education is often cited as part of the “culture wars.” How would you define culture wars? What may be some areas other than religion that intertwine public education in the culture wars?
- How do you plan on responding to potential dilemmas surrounding religious expressions? What basic guidelines will you use to influence your decision-making?
The Religious Expression Paper
- Must be at least two double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least one outside source in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.