Race and Ethnicity
Using cultural relativism, consider what it means to become an immigrant to the United States from a non-Western country of origin;
- What cultural differences would you expect?
- What challenges would you expect?
- What do you think would be most difficult to leave behind?
Make a list of what you think would be the most difficult aspects of changing countries and changing culture.
Choose one of the options below for your assignment this week:
- 1. If “race” doesn’t exist, why is racism still such a pervasive problem today?
- 2. In human societies, is it possible for peoples to be different and yet equal?
- 3. Can you recall social situations in which you (or people around you) changed their accents or manner of speaking? Do you think this was conscious or unconscious? What was the context for this shift in language? What meaning did it have for you and others?
- 4. Did this language shift symbolize certain relationships among the people involved?
Please provide original work and references. No plagiarizing. Use APA formatting