1. Do you tend to place more value on qualitative or quantitative research? Why? Does it matter what topic you are studying?
2. Which theory do you think better explains how societies operate—structural functionalism or conflict theory? Why?
3. Do you think the way people behave in social interactions is more like the behavior of animals or more like actors playing a role in a theatrical production? Why?
4 Why Study Sociology?
5. How do you think taking a sociology course might affect your social interactions?
9. What sort of career are you interested in? How could studying sociology help you in this career?
10. Describe a situation in which a choice you made was influenced by societal pressures.