Create a positioning map for an organization of your choice and analyze the results.
A positioning map helps measure an organization against the competition on two dimensions that are important in the marketplace. Examples could be capacity, customer service, conservative versus edgy, price, convenience, or customer loyalty. Many organizations are increasingly using product positioning maps to look at how their products and services are positioned in comparison to competitors and to find ways to implement strategies. This information is especially useful for marketing managers.
Implementation is sometimes more difficult than strategy formulation. Annual objectives, the organizational chart, and organization culture can be used to increase the probability of implementation. A good strategy does not guarantee successful implementation. Although they are interdependent, they are different by nature. Strategy implementation means change. The real work begins after the strategies are created. Implementation requires the support and hard work of employees, and resistance can sabotage implementation. Managers and employees must be motivated to implement strategies. Implementation requires matching structure to strategy, linking performance to pay, creating a change climate, managing political relationships, creating a strategy-supportive culture, adapting key processes, and managing human resources. Establishing objectives and policies and allocating human resources are also important to implementation.
Successful strategy implementation depends on the cooperation of all the functional managers:
- Marketing is frequently required to increase sales revenue with new products.
- Finance managers must find implementation approaches at low cost and minimum risk.
- Research and development has to transfer complex technologies or develop new technologies to implement strategies.
- Information systems is tasked to provide leadership and training for employees.
- It is clear that these requirements, and more, determine an organization’s success.