Learning Goal: I’m working on a writing exercise and need a reference to help me learn.
ASSIGNMENT: Using your outline and annotated bibliography from Touchstones 1.2 and Touchstone 2.2, draft a 6-8 page argumentative research essay on your chosen persuasive topic.
As this assignment builds on Touchstone 2.2: Create an Annotated Bibliography, that Touchstone must be graded before you can submit your persuasive proposal draft.
In order to foster learning and growth, all essays you submit must be newly written specifically for this course. Any recycled work will be sent back with a 0, and you will be given one attempt to redo the Touchstone.
DIRECTIONS: Your persuasive proposal should include your persuasive thesis statement, involve argument development, and incorporate research. Remember that this topic addresses a problem or issue in your community or workplace. Refer to your feedback from the previous touchstones to aid you in composing this assignment.
Keep in mind: Refer to the list below throughout the writing process. Do not submit your Touchstone until it meets these guidelines.
- ❒ Have you included a thesis in your introduction that takes a clear, specific position on one side of a debatable issue?
- ❒ Are all of the details relevant to the purpose of your essay?
- ❒ Is the persuasive argument supported using rhetorical appeals and source material?
- ❒ Is your essay 6-8 pages (approximately 1500-2000 words)? If not, which details do you need to add or remove?
- ❒ Have you cited outside sources effectively using quotation, summary, or paraphrase techniques using APA formatting?
- ❒ Are the sources incorporated smoothly, providing the reader with signal phrases and context for the source information?
- ❒ Have you referenced a range of at least 7 credible sources?
- ❒ Have you properly cited your sources according to APA style guidelines?
- ❒ Have you included an APA style reference page below your essay?
DIRECTIONS: Below your assignment, include answers to all of the following reflection questions.
- Provide one example of a place where you have used rhetorical appeals or source material to support your argument. How does this enhance your essay? (2-3 sentences)
- Touchstone 4 is a revision of this draft. What kind of feedback would be helpful for you as you revise? Are there parts of your draft that you’re uncertain of? (3-4 sentences)
Keep in mind: Refer to the list below throughout the reflection process. Do not submit your Touchstone until it meets these guidelines.
- ❒ Have you answered all reflection questions thoughtfully and included insights, observations, and/or examples in all responses?
- ❒ Are your answers included on a separate page below the main assignment?