Persuasive Essay / 3 discussions/ Marketing and Ethics.
Learning Activity #1The reading materials on Marketing ethics for this week discuss the importance of reputation in marketing. A compnay that has a good reputation for honest marketing will do well in the long run while a company that does not have such a reputation will do poorly – or so the argument goes. Is this always true? Can you cite a company that has a good reputation for honest marketing? One for dishonest marketing? Cite examples you know of or research.
Learning Activity #2
Should the ethics of marketing be left to the marketplace or should government set the rules? Some argue that companies that unethically market their products and services or provide defective products or services will go out of business because the market place itself will reduce the demand for their product and services so as to prevent them from earning a profit – all without any need for the government to intervene with regulations concerning deceptive advertising. Do you agree? Explain
Learning Activity #3
Domestically we are attuned to a diverse workforce, and non-discrimination in employment is the well accepted standard. Discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, national origin, et al. is illegal, Globally this is not always the case. How does a multinational company, perhaps based in the US, deal with a situation where discrimination is tolerated in its overseas facilities? Scenario; Ann Davis has been with US Logistics for twenty years and is well qualified to ascend to the position of Vice President for Mideast Operations, a position which has just become open. She applies for the job. You are on the selection committee. Some members of the committee are concerned that she may have a difficult time with the job in that region because she is a woman- in terms of dealing with Middle Eastern customers and dealing with the local staff. Do you recommend her for the position?
Scenario Two: You are a representative of a large US airplane part manufacturer and seeking to obtain a contract to sell parts to an African country’s air force. You are advised by a local contact that a payment of $100,000.00 to the family of the foreign minister would assure that your company would be awarded the $30 million contract. The payment would be made through a local agent for “consulting” so your company would not be directly involved. Should your company make this payment?
Assignment #2: Persuasive Paper (20%)
In assignment 2, students will write a persuasive essay in response to the theme:
“It isn’t enough for a multinational corporation to be socially responsible; it must be a triple bottom line company to meet its ethical obligations”
Required Elements of Assignment #2 – Persuasive Essay:
• Write a persuasive essay either supporting or denying the veracity of the theme statement;
• The argument should include a discussion of the differences between corporate social responsibility and the triple bottom line concepts.
• Include a discussion about the idea of distributive justice and the current distribution of wealth;
Required Formatting of Persuasive Essay:
• This essay should be double-spaced, 12-point font, and four to six pages in length excluding the title page and reference page;
• Title page;
• Introductory paragraph and a summary paragraph;
• Write in the third person;
• Use APA formatting for in-text citations and a reference page. You are expected to paraphrase and not use quotes. Deductions will be taken when quotes are used and found to be unnecessary;
• Submit the paper in the Assignment Folder.
Persuasive Writing Resources:
• Tips on Writing a Persuasive Essay
• How to Write a Persuasive Essay
• Argumentative Essays
Tips For Writing a Persuasive Essay:
• Use a pleasant and reasonable tone in your essay. Sarcasm and name-calling weaken an argument. Logic and fairness will help to keep it strong.
• Make your best argument your last argument.
• Select your words carefully, have them evoke an image. Persuasion is about appealing to all the emotions of the reader. The use of adjectives and logic will convey a vivid picture and will make the reader believe you and that you write as an authority on the subject.
• No personal pronouns and no I think, I feel, I believe as these phrases all weaken your perspective because the reader is less likely to think you are writing from fact than fiction.
• No personal experiences unless they are generic meaning everyone has them and can relate to them and they convey a vivid and immediate image.