1. List the TCP/IP layer that performs each of the following functions:
a. Data compression
c. Definition of a signal’s electrical characteristics
e. Error detection
f. End-to-end flow control
2. I am installing a data cable between two office labs that are 80 meters apart. What is one advantage of installing a copper wire twisted-pair cable versus a fiber optic cable? What is one advantage of installing a fiber optic cable versus a copper wire twisted-pair cable
3. What is the data transmission time to send a 2 Gbyte file over a link with a 100 Mbps line rate? You can assume there is no overhead, so the throughput is equal to the line rate. Round your answer to the nearest 0.1 second and show your work.
4. Explain what it means for a network to be scalable.
5. Each Well-Known Port number is associated with a standard network service application that can be offered on an Internet server. What is the name of the network application associated with TCP port 17?
6. Describe two reasons that you would prefer to use a switched Ethernet compared to a shared Ethernet.
7. What is the purpose of the ARP protocol?
8. The IP address of my PC is 188.8.131.52 (in dotted decimal format). Write this out as a 32-bit binary value. Your answer should consist of 32 values, each of which is 0 or 1.
9. The MAC address of my PC is 18-6B-2C-99-DD-7A (in hexadecimal format). Write this out as a 48-bit binary value. Your answer should consist of 48 values, each of which is 0 or 1.
10. On an Ethernet switch, what is the difference between sending data packets in Store-and-Forward Mode compared with Cut-Through Mode?