Persuasive essay instructions
As you know, Paper 4 focuses on applying problem-solving thinking:
- You will need to identify a problem
- Provide evidence that proves problem exits
- You will need to offer a viable solution
- Provide evidence that proves solution is viable
- You can offer up to two or three solutions
The rough draft and the final draft will both meet these guidelines to the best of your abilities. All criteria for the paper rest on the concepts discussed in the assigned lectures and readings.
Here are a few things to keep in mind while writing Paper 4:
- Essay should mostly be in 3rd person
- use 1st person when applicable (i.e. personal testimony)
- no 2nd person
- In-text citations are required when quoting
- only direct quote testimonies (not yours)
- paraphrase and summarize all other sources
- Reference page is required
- An abstract page is required
- review APA Paper Format lecture notes (in Module 13)
*Please note that if you include someone else’s testimony as evidence, you must cite source as an interview.
- The paper will have a strong title.
- The paper will have an introduction that contains
- A clear, sophisticated hook.
- A clear overview of the Problem.
- A strong thesis statement.
- You can split the Introduction into two paragraphs
- The paper will have body paragraphs that each discuss a viable solution. Each will have
- A clear topic sentence.
- Lots of details and examples.
- A clear concluding sentence.
- The paper will have a conclusion that reinforces the deeper point of the paper without just repeating the thesis or the topic of the essay.
- Each body paragraph will lead readers through the solution clearly.
- Each body paragraph will make use of evidence, including
- Survey & Polls
- Narrative & Testimonies
- The style will be clear and direct (no wordiness or extra “fluff”).
- The sentences will vary in length.
- The paper will have a minimum of grammar errors.
- The paper will be formatted in APA, including
- A title page with your name, the instructor’s name, the course, and the date, in month-day year format
- One-inch margins
- Double-spacing (with no extra spaces between paragraphs; set Before and After to zero).
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- A header ½ inch from the top of the page with the page number.
- A centered title.
- Paragraphs that are indented one tab (or ten spaces).
- Justify the paper left only—not both sides.
- The paper must also be styled in APA, including
- A title page
- An abstract page
- In-text citations
- A reference page
Paper 4 will be a minimum of four pages in length; this means a full four pages (and not three pages and some writing on page 4).