In this assignment, you will choose a criminal case study from your own research or use one from the crime section of The Daily Chronicle website Crime & Sirens | chronline.com to examine the differences between the juvenile and adult court systems. You will read and summarize a case involving an adult. Then you will consider how this case would unfold differently had a juvenile committed the crime.
Read the case information and write a 2–3 page paper in which you:
- Summarize the facts of the case.
- Examine how the procedure would differ if the defendant or defendants were underage when the offense was committed.
- Identify and discuss how juvenile proceedings differ from adult criminal proceedings as well as the differences in charges for the same crime.
- Define the waiver process of transferring a juvenile into the adult court system.
- Make and support recommendations for disposition based on the assumption that each defendant in your selected case is a minor being tried as a juvenile.
- Use at least three sources to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Determine the appropriate legal procedures for both the adult and juvenile court systems to make sound decisions informed by criminal justice policy.