You will be asked to explain Joseph Campbell’s concept of the Hero’s Journey and analyze how three assigned steps are demonstrated and contribute to the overall meaning of the story.
For the timed essay, you will also be assigned three of the following 12 steps of the Hero’s Journey.
Here is a list from the resource
The 12 steps of the hero’s journey are…
- The Ordinary World
- The Call of Adventure
- Refusal of the Call
- Meeting the Mentor
- Crossing the First Threshold
- Tests, Allies, Enemies
- Approach to the Inmost Cave
- The Ordeal
- Reward (Seizing the Sword)
- The Road Back
- Return with the Elixir
- Write an academic essay in MLA format that is a minimum of 1,100 words (about 4 pages).
- DO NOT use any outside sources for this essay. Please use the assigned story and With this in mind, If you are assigned Beowulf: The Graphic Novel, do NOT quote from the original Beowulf. Quote ONLY from Beowulf: The Graphic Novel.
- Essays that use APA or any other format other than MLA or that include ANY outside sources will earn a maximum of 50% on the assignment and will not be allowed to revise for a higher score.
- Essays that don’t address the assigned story or steps will earn a zero.
- Begin with an introductory paragraph that hooks your reader’s attention, provides background information about the Hero’s Journey and your chosen story, and leads seamlessly into a clearly stated thesis.
- Develop at least three body paragraphs by beginning with clear topic sentences that introduce the step of the Hero’s Journey you will be discussing in that paragraph.
- In each body paragraph, choose, introduce, and explain one step of the “Hero’s Journey” by providing a quote from “
- Include at least 2 quoted passages in each body paragraph–at least one from the story and at least one from the