Identify each of the following sentences as irony, metaphor, or simile. For each sentence, write another expressing its literal meaning.
1. He missed the ball by a mile.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Irony, Metaphor, or Simile
Just from $13/Page
2. He acted like a bull in a china shop.
3. The exam blew me away.
4. He had to eat his words.
5. It was a real team effort. (Said by a coach after his team loses by forty points.)
6. They are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
7. The concert was totally awesome.
8. A midair collision can ruin your whole day.
9. This is a case of the tail wagging the dog.
10. “Religion is the opiate of the masses.”