1. Choose one of the ten social determinants of health studied throughout this subject:
i. The social gradient
iii. Early life
iv. Social exclusion
vii. Social support
Think about the social determinant of health that you have chosen, in light of two things.
Firstly, consider the social determinant of health in light of your learning since commencing your nursing studies, including your experiential learning in the clinical and related settings.
Secondly, consider the social determinant of health in light of the resources developed by the following groups of people:
• World Health Organisation at: https://www.who.int/sdhconference/resources/EquitySDandPH_eng.pdf and https://www.who.int/social_determinants/tools/SD_Publichealth_eng.pdf
• Primary Health Care Research and Information Service, at: https://www.phcris.org.au/guides/social_determinants.php
• Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation: https://anmf.org.au/documents/reports/PHC_Australia.pdf
2. Based on your reading and thinking, develop a creative, engaging and audience-appropriate ‘Pecha Kucha’ presentation (no sound necessary) to educate either your peers (other 3rd year students) OR future nursing colleagues. This presentation should be concise (i.e. contain pictures, graphs, diagram, multi-media, but less than 500 words).
In this presentation, you are to address the following:
i. The epidemiological data related to this social determinant of health from a national and/or international perspective
ii. The influence of this social determinant on the health of communities
iii. How the application of the values and principles of social justice and equity could bring about sustainable change in relation to this social determinant of health
iv. The role of government and non-government organisations in addressing this social determinant of health nationally and/or internationally
v. How health professionals can use clinical evidence based strategies, as individuals and also in multi-disciplinary teams, to address this social determinant of health and thereby bring about sustainable change in the health of communities
vi. How health professionals can collaborate health promotion and illness prevention strategies to address this social determinant of health
NB: Information about ‘Pecha Kucha’ presentations are provided on the NRS326 I2 site.
3. Please attach to this presentation (no sound necessary) a comprehensive set of notes (< 1,500 words) that you would refer to when giving this presentation. These notes must show how you have addressed the assessment criteria (please see marking rubric) and demonstrate that you have used the research evidence to support development of your presentation (please see marking rubric).