Your assignment this week will focus on the case study HSBC in China (p. 563). We once again visit the country of China, this time to look at the financial and banking sectors. China acceded to the World Trade Organization (WTO) in 2001, which was important to integrate China into the global economy. The WTO requirements guaranteed China entry into the important financial sector, setting it on a course to become a financial powerhouse.
Reflecting on this week’s content focusing on ethical leadership, strategy, and alliances, develop an essay responding to the following questions
- How has HSBC adapted its global strategy to operate in China, both before and after China’s WTO accession?
- Discuss HSBC’s strategy for entering and operating in other emerging markets. Where has it found success, and where has it faced setbacks? Why?
- What are the pros and cons of HSBC’s “Managing for Growth” strategy?
Your well-written paper should meet the following requirements:
- Be 5-6 pages in length, which does not include the title page or required reference page, which are never a part of the content minimum requirements.
- Support your submission with course material concepts, principles, and theories from the textbook and at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles.