How is the shortage of primary care physicians affecting quality of care delivered in the U.S.?
Research question: ”How is the shortage of primary care physicians affecting quality of care delivered in the U.S.?”
- stats on physician shortages
- Factors decreasing the amount of med students (financial/student loan debt, insurance reimbursements)
- How can healthcare reform help?
- What efforts are currently being made to increase the amount of PCPs? (NYU free med school for PCPs)
- Where are physician shortages most prevalent? (rural areas, low SES)
- Why choose a career in primary care?
- Can tasks usually performed by PCP be done by another trained healthcare professional?
- Can the addition of NP’s and PA’s lessen the burden on PCP’s?
- Work hours much longer for PCPs than specialists
- Supply & demand (aging population)