The Week 1 Lab provides a look at how a database works. A database is modeled and then created. Data is then added to the data base and SQL DML is used to manage the database and extract data and answer business questions. The results are then reported and analyzed with a description provided. These activities are common activities that take place in businesses on a daily basis when working with a database.
Review the Week 1: Course Project Assignment Lab Overview page to prepare for the Course Project.
Our focus is on database design and data management tools such as MongoDB/RoboMongo.
- What is the best way to collect data and create a database?
- Differentiate among structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data, giving business examples of each.
- Describe the limitations of relational databases and SQL in dealing with semi-structured and unstructured data.
- Identify major categories of data management technologies using not only SQL (NoSQL) approaches and describe their advantages and disadvantages compared to relational DBMSs.
- Research MongoDB/RoboMongo and discuss the pros and cons of adopting this technology for big data use.
Work can be submitted using a MS Word Document. Use APA formatting and don’t forget to cite references. Minimum of 1/2 page per topic.