Unit 6 Assignment – HIPAA
This unit’s assignment focuses on a particularly sensitive aspect of healthcare, mental health. Given the sensitive nature of mental health and substance use disorder treatment information, understanding HIPAA protections as a healthcare professional is particularly important. Using the document, Office for Civil Rights Headquarters. (2020, June 4). HIPAA Privacy and Sharing Information Related to Mental Health (Links to an external site.). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/new-faqs-on-sharing-information.pdf, answer the following questions:
- Does HIPAA provide extra protections for mental health information compared with other health information?
- Is a health care provider permitted to discuss an adult patient’s mental health information with the patient’s parents or other family members?
- Can a minor child’s doctors talk to the child’s parent about the patient’s mental health status and needs?
- Does a parent have a right to receive a copy of psychotherapy notes about a child’s mental health treatment?
- When does HIPAA allow a doctor to notify an individual’s family, friends, or caregivers that a patient has overdosed, e.g., because of opioid abuse?
Your paper should be formatted and include the following:
- APA format, 1” margins, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12 point font.
- You should include each of the questions as a heading for your paper.
- Responses should be in your own voice and unique to you. DO NOT copy and paste from the document or website research.
- Include a reference page. Include the “HIPAA Privacy Rule and Sharing information related to Mental Health” as your reference.
- Your responses to each question should be a minimum of 100 words each, in paragraph form.
- Do not just list the facts but ALSO engage your critical thinking and share your thoughts about each question as well.
- Include all references in APA format on a separate Reference Page in your document.