Introduction to Philosophy – Fall 2021
Happiness and Moral Virtue – Story and Essay: Assignment and Rubric
First Part: Write a (very) short story of 200-400 words that illustrates someone developing the moral virtue of courage OR temperance.
Second Part: Write an essay of 600-900 words answering the following questions:
- What is a moral virtue according to Aristotle?
- How does Aristotle think we develop moral virtues?
- How does Aristotle define the virtue you have described in your story? What is it a meanbetween?
- How does your story illustrate Aristotle’s theory of moral virtue? Some questions to consider:
- What activities does the main character in your story perform to develop their chosen moral virtue?
- What roadblocks do they encounter in developing this moral virtue?
- Is the main character ultimately successful in developing this moral virtue?
- Does the main character become happier thanks to their attempt to develop a moral virtue?
Completing this essay will help you work towards Goals 1-3 of the course, which are:
- To understand core concepts in philosophy.
- To read arguments.
- To write clearly.
- Due 10/7 by 11:59 PM.
- Late papers will be marked down 10 points every 24 hours that they are late.
- NO papers will be accepted after 10/10.
- Your papers are blind-reviewed. Do NOT place your name on your paper.
- You should upload your paper through Canvas.
- If you would like to discuss your paper, I can meet with you during my regular office hours (Th 2-3:30 in DM 341-D) or by appointment.