We are going to try our hand at encryption and hashing of files for this assignment. We will be using AES, MD5 and SHA256. You can find your own tools for doing this, or you can use online tools, or tools built into your computer operating system. I’ve provided a couple of links below for your reference.
- 1. Open a text file in a text editor of your choice.
- 2. In your own words, explain the difference between a hash and an encryption cipher.
- 3. Hash your answer using MD5 and save this in the line below your answer. Don’t hash any extra returns or whitespace.
- 4. Now hash your answer using SHA256 and save this in a new line below the MD5 hash.
- 5. Finally, encrypt your answer using AES256 and save the encrypted text below your SHA hash.
- 6. Put your “secret” or “key” in the line below your encrypted answer.
- 7. List any tools or websites you used to complete the hashing and encryption.
Extra Credit: Provide the Shannon Entropy for your encrypted text.
If you are successful in the above steps, I should be able to decrypt and hash your answer, arriving at the same results you did. Points are given for each step 2 through 7.