Question 1: Marijuana is often called a “gateway drug” that leads to other addictions such as alcohol, nicotine, and “harder” drugs. However, several states in the US have legalized marijuana for medical use and a few for recreational use in small quantities. If you were a police officer in the United States, would you advocate legalization? Is marijuana really a gateway drug? What could the long-term effects of legalization be?
Step 1: Select a topic and begin research
- Select one of the four Discussion Questions above.
This assignment will be a 5 paragraph essay ranging from 800-1200 words and will be submitted via Blackboard. You will choose 1 of the 4 Discussion Questions presented in Week 10 (Task 6.11.1) to write about and conduct research. Incorporate at least 3 academic sources. Your essay and sources should all be cited according to APA style.
- Open a document in MSWord or Google Docs to use for notes.
- Write a list of search terms.
- Write a list of any good web sites that you think would help (e.g. open source intelligence sites).
- Begin your search. Use advanced Search and Google Scholar.
- Copy / paste links to web sites that look interesting.
- Make notes next to the links about the contents.
Step 2: Collect five or more high-quality sources
- Download copies of the best sites to read offline.
- Look for PDF download links.
- Look for PRINT buttons and save as a PDF.
- Right-click and choose print or save as.
- Be sure that you can find the web site again later for writing your APA references!
- Read your sources carefully.
- Look for bias, facts, and opinions.
- Check the authority of the writer.
- Check the facts presented.
- Think about how the ideas fit in a larger framework of Security Science.