In this assignment it is expected that you will draw extensively upon your experiences on the professional experience placement.
For this first professional experience unit, the standards/focus areas that you are required to demonstrate are outlined in the following table.
Professional standards and focus areas
Standard Focus areas
Standard 1: Know the students and how they learn 1.1 Physical, social and intellectual development and characteristics of students
1.2 Understand how students learn
Standard 2: Know the content and how to teach it 2.1 Content and teaching strategies of the teaching area
2.2 Content selection and organisation
2.3 Curriculum, assessment and reporting
2.5 Literacy and numeracy strategies (literacy- fill in the
Blanks.) (numeracy – model an example of how to solve an equation
Standard 3: Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning 3.3 Use teaching strategies (
3.4 Select and use resources
3.5 Use effective classroom communication (eye contact,
Standard 4: Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments 4.2 Manage classroom activities
4.4 Maintain student safety (merit awards)
Standard 5: Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning 5.1 Assess student learning (end of topic exams)
5.2 Provide feedback to students on their learning (written feedback- test results and rubric marking)
5.4 Interpret student data
Standard 6: Engage in professional learning 6.3 Engage with colleagues and improve practice
Standard 7: Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community 7.1 Meet professional ethics and responsibilities
7.3 Engage with the parents/carers ( emails or interviews)
For each standard of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (Graduate), you are required to provide the following:
- Evidence from your professional experience (1–2 pieces) that you believe best demonstrates your achievement of the focus areas within each standard. Your evidence may include: screenshots of work samples/planning documents, videos, podcasts, photos, card, feedback from students/families/mentors, etc.
- A reflective statement for each of the focus areas that demonstrates why you have chosen the particular evidence, and how it develops your understanding of the relevant focus area.
Each statement should be approximately 1–2 paragraphs in length.
• As word counts are difficult to measure for this type of assignment, you are required to produce no more than the equivalent of one A4 page in length for each piece of evidence.
• You are expected to draw upon the unit learning materials to support your reflective statements, as well as scholarly literature found beyond the unit. One reference list is to be included at the end of the assignment.
• Use first person when referring to your personal views and third person when referring to literature.
Throughout your teaching journey, you will be required to use your relevant National and/or State or Territory Curriculum. To help you build capability in this area, and to help further prepare you for placements, here at Swinburne Online we allow you to choose whether you would like to use the relevant National and/or State or Territory Curriculum in your Assignments. For further information specific to your assignments for this specific unit, please seek advice from your eLAs and/or your Unit Coordinator.
The following resources will support you in completing this assignment:
• Referencing guide (Links to an external site.) (this includes guidelines on how to cite and reference ACARA and ELYF).
• Assignment support (Links to an external site.).