Drug Offenses: Laws & Limitations
• Points 100
• Submitting a file upload
To assess your ability to:
1. Compare and contrast the various forms of crime data and identify the potential biases and challenges of each.
2. Evaluate our criminal laws and the values, norms, and data upon which they are based.
3. Discuss the brief history and purposes of victimology.
Your case study is based upon laws that have recently been passed to address the growing narcotic problem. We have tried to develop reliable measures of crime. In order to determine if this law is addressing an objectively quantifiable growing societal problem and community harm, you are required to research drug offenses using the Bureau of Justice Statistics Arrest Data Analysis Tool, and address the following: What is missing from this data? How can it be biased? Did it support the need for Pill-Mill laws? How does the Pill-Mill law reflect the values and norms of our society? How might your answer be impacted if you knew one of our defendants self-medicated due to a severe psychotic disorder? Who are the victims?
To successfully complete the assignment, you are expected to read and study the key points and all assigned readings for this week. It is highly recommended that you familiarize yourself with the grading criteria provided. This criteria includes information on how your professor will grade your assignment. Ensure you cover all relevant information expected of you in the assignment. Use at least two outside reference sources to support your writing.
1. Complete all required readings prior to working on this assignment.
2. Review the Criminal Justice System Graphic Representation (Links to an external site.).
3. Research drug offenses using the Bureau of Justice Statistics Arrest Data Analysis Tool (Links to an external site.).
4. In a 4 – 5 page paper, address the following:
o What is missing from this data?
o How can it be biased?
o Did it support the need for the Pill-Mill laws?
o How does the Pill-Mill law reflect the values and norms of our society?
o How might your answer be impacted if you knew one of our defendants self-medicated due to a severe psychotic disorder?
o Who are the victims?
Your response should be detailed and supported by at least three appropriate, reference sources other than the course textbook.
5. Your paper is to include your name, the assignment name and number, the course and section number, and the date on your title page. Format your title page, paper, and cite ALL sources according to APA guidelines.