The goals of this assignment is to help you:
- Become more knowledgeable in a topic from your field
- Develop critical thinking skills and the ability to back up your points with evidence
- Discipline yourself to follow scholarly research formats to document in-text sources and create a reference page
- Compose a well-organized, clear, concise review paper
Review Paper Format Outline
Choose a disease caused by a microorganism which affects the human body and write a review paper for that topic. Topics can be any disease which you would find interesting. Ideally you should choose a topic which you find interesting and would like to know more about. Note that all topics have to be approved by the instructor and only one student will be able to claim a single topic for the class. Therefore, topics will be claimed on a first come first serve basis. You can claim your topic by either emailing your instructor or by using the discussion board found in unit 3. Note that your topics are due N/A and that the paper is due 05/10/2020 as stated in the syllabus.
Use the following guidelines to help set up your review paper:
- A minimum of 2 full pages and a maximum of 6 full pages
- Calibri (11) font or Times New Roman (12) font
- Doubled spaced
- No title page
- Should indicate Topic, Name, Class, Date on first page with a maximum font size of 14
- Should contain an introduction, body, and conclusion
- Minimum of 2 sources credible
- All internet sources have to end in .org, .edu, or .gov
- All sources must be current (2010+)
- Should contain a reference cited page (additional to the 2-6 pages required for the introduction/body/conclusion)
- All sources should be listed in the reference cited using standard MLA or APA citation
- All sources must be referenced using in-text citations throughout the paper
Review Paper Contents Outline
Make sure to include the following topics in the contents of your review paper
- Briefly introduce the disease
- Why did you choose this topic?
- Is there something you find fascinating about the disease?
- What are you excited to learn more about regarding the disease?
- Body of the paper
- General overview of the disease: this should be a brief and very general or non-specific overview of the 6 items you will cover in the body of the paper below.
- Causes: What is the causative agent for this disease? (if there are more than one make sure to list as many causes as possible (can stop at 5 causes)
- Signs and Symptoms
- Incidence: How many people does this disease affect? Does it affect a certain age group? Does it affect a certain ethnic group? What is the Mortality Rate?
- Diagnosis: What tests do the doctors run to determine whether a person has the disease?
- Treatment: What are the treatment options? Is there a cure?
- Prevention: Are there any ways to prevent this disease?
- Briefly restate or recap any major points from your review paper.
- Did you learn anything new about the disease?
- What was the most exciting thing you learned about the disease?
Assignment Submission Instructions
All topics must be submitted through the blackboard discussion section on or before the due date shown in the syllabus (see below). All assignments should be submitted through the drop-box on blackboard on or before the due date shown in the syllabus (see below). Rough drafts can be submitted to the instructor electronically through blackboard for review but will not be accepted if within 7 days of the due date of the paper. Should you require any aid or have questions regarding the assignment, be sure to email your instructor through blackboard.