10) 1. In the year 4000, an exploration team brings back an unusual animal from the planet Zvorg named Cattus annoyingus (named for the space animal’s annoying habit of whining loudly, biting one’s ankles, and knocking over trash cans). Not surprisingly, it is an endangered species on Zvorg. You are trying to revive the species (much to the dismay of the Zvorgians). Coat characteristics in C. annoyingus are controlled by two autosomal genes, one of which is epistatic to the other. The coat can either be a dull brown (B) or golden (b). If the animal is golden, it can either be non-spotted (P) or spotted (p).
(5) a) What are the possible genotypes and phenotypes if two heterozygote animals are mated to each other? Show how you came up with your answer.
(5) b) What are the possible genotypes and phenotypes for the following cross: BbPp X bbPp. Show how you came up with your answer.
(14) 2. You are trying to determine whether the autosomal genes for stem color are linked to the autosomal genes controlling fruit color. Stem color can either be purple (G) or green (g), and fruit color can either be red(R) or yellow (r). You cross a plant which is heterozygous for both genes to a homozygous recessive plant. You obtain the following offspring:
(2) a). If the genes were not linked, what would be the genotypes of the gametes produced by each parent? Explain your reasoning.
(2) b). If the genes were linked, what would be the genotypes of the gametes produced by each parent? Explain your reasoning.
(4) c) Test the hypothesis that these genes ARE NOT linked by doing a ChiSquare test. You can assume that the degrees of freedom=3, p=0.05, and use the table below for your analyses. SHOW YOUR WORK. (expected, observed, calculations—as well as what your conclusions are. I need to see it).
(2) d) Assuming the genes are linked, is the configuration cis or trans? Explain your reasoning.
(4) e) Assuming the genes are linked, identify the recombinant classes and then calculate the map distance between G and R. Show your work!