Changing access controls can have some undesirable effects. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider changes before making them and provide mechanisms to reverse changes if they have unexpected consequences.
Always Fresh management has asked you to develop procedures for changing any access controls. The purpose of these procedures is to ensure that staff:
- Understand and document the purpose of each access control change request
- Know what access controls were in place before any changes
- Get an approval of change by management
- Understand the scope of the change, both with respect to users, computers, and objects
- Have evaluated the expected impact of the change
- Know how to evaluate whether the change meets the goals
- Understand how to undo any change if necessary
Create a guide that security personnel will use that includes procedures for implementing an access control change.
The procedure guide must contain the steps Always Fresh security personnel should take to evaluate and implement an access control change. You can assume any change requests you receive are approved.
Ensure that your procedures include the following:
- Status or setting prior to any change
- Reason for the change
- Change to implement
- Scope of the change
- Impact of the change
- Status or setting after the change
- Process to evaluate the change